Building Spotlight: S&W Fine Foods Warehouse - Then and Now
S&W Fine Foods Warehouse previously housed Cost Plus' "World Market" Headquarters. San Francisco-based developer Carmel Partners, which specializes in building high-end and eco-friendly apartments on the West Coast, has begun construction on the development site that was originally developed in 1937 for S&W Fine Foods. The site, made up of two properties at 200 4th St. and 431 Madison St., was most recently a parking lot and an office building for the home goods company Cost Plus World Market.
After leaving its leased location at 255 Third St. and constructing this warehouse, S&W Fine Foods, Inc. adopted the name that is today one of the oldest food brands in the United States. S&W grew to become one of the country's largest packagers of canned fruits and vegetables. In 2001, Del Monte Foods Co. bought the S&W brand. While earlier District warehouses were designed with loading docks at rail car height, S&W Fine Foods' 1937 warehouse included both truck height loading on Jackson Street and rail car height loading docks on Fourth Street. Both loading dock facilities have been partially filled in.
According to its website, S&W was founded in 1896 by three grocery wholesalers in San Francisco, and it “created the era of premium-canned foods.” Art Deco fluted pilasters are on the Fifth Street side. Truck bays were built on the Jackson Street side, train bays on Fourth Street side. Cost Plus moved its corporate office here in 2000. A new monumental entrance in the middle of the Fourth Street side is recessed with four large multi-paned glass block windows on the rear wall. A
landscaped entrance with plants welcomes you to Cost Plus’ “World Headquarters.”
Designer: Jesse Rosenwald
Construction Date: 1937, addition 1946, rem. 1998
Architectural Style: Moderne