Building Spotlight: S&W Fine Foods warehouse, Cost Plus Headquarters to Carmel Partners Development, then and now…
In 1937, the warehouse located on the block between Madison and Jackson, and 4th and 5th streets was developed for S&W Fine Foods. Notable architectural features are the Art Deco fluted pilasters on the Fifth Street façade, and integrated features for logistics and warehouse use. Truck bays were built on the Jackson Street side, and train bays on Fourth Street side. While earlier District warehouses were designed with loading docks at rail car height, S&W Fine Foods' 1937 warehouse included both truck height loading on Jackson Street and rail car height loading docks on Fourth Street. Both loading dock facilities have been partially filled in.
According to its website, S&W was founded in 1896 by three grocery wholesalers in San Francisco, and it “created the era of premium-canned foods.” After leaving its leased location at 255 Third St. in Jack London, and constructing this warehouse, S&W Fine Foods, Inc. grew to become one of the country's largest packagers of canned fruits and vegetables. In 2001, Del Monte Foods Co. bought the S&W brand.
S&W Fine Foods Warehouse has housed Cost Plus' "World Market" Headquarters since 2000. A new monumental entrance in the middle of the Fourth Street side is recessed with four large multi-paned glass block windows on the rear wall. A landscaped entrance with plants welcomes you to Cost Plus’ “World Headquarters”.
San Francisco-based developer Carmel Partners, which specializes in building high-end and eco-friendly apartments on the West Coast, has an agreement to buy the large development site that was originally developed in 1937 for S&W Fine Foods. The site, made up of two properties at 200 4th St. and 431 Madison St., is now a parking lot and an office building for the home goods company Cost Plus World Market.
Designer: Jesse Rosenwald
Construction Date: 1937, addition 1946, rem. 1998
Architectural Style: Moderne