What We Do
Cleaning and Safety Ambassador Program
Meet our terrific team of Jack London Ambassadors. They're glad to give directions and information, pedestrian and motorist assistance, and provide safety and umbrella escorts as they make our streets clean and safe.
Ambassador Operating Hours
7:00am – 9:00pm
Monday through Thursday
9:00am – 11:00pm
8:30am – 4:30pm on Sundays.
Ambassador General Line: 510-363-0989
- Intensive cleaning of sidewalks, gutters, and fixtures in the public right-of way to improve the street-level experience, particularly in areas of chronic neglect (such as the Broadway/880 underpass).
- Special projects such as removal of hazardous fixtures in the public right-of-way, painting of street furnishings, removal of extensive graffiti in the public right-of-way and more.
- A friendly greeting and visitor assistance, directions, recommendations, and neighborhood information.
- Social Service outreach as they interact with the homeless and Street population to conduct welfare check
- Umbrella escorts in the rain between any two points within the District on request.
- Deterrence & reporting of unwanted behavior as they circulate and observe activity throughout the District
- Requesting compliance with Oakland’s laws and ordinances.
- Coordination with the Oakland Police Department to share safety and security information
- Information to community members of safety practices.
- Safety walking escort between any two points within the District on request.
Current Projects in District Improvements, Branding, Marketing, and Business Support
The District focuses on supporting economic vibrancy and quality-of life through its cleaning and safety services, marketing and promotion, smart development advocacy, and community engagement. A few of our current special projects are described below.
District Branding: Light pole banners
These long term temporary fixtures are installed on lampposts around the District and celebrate the many unique aspects of Jack London.
B-Shuttle Promotion and Funding for Extended Service Hours
Building Art Program
We coordinate with property owners, artists, and curators to identify and implement art in outdoor neighborhood locations to enliven the Jack London District for its residents, workers, and visitors.
Find out more here
Bike Solar Oakland
Art Wrapped Utility Boxes
Utility boxes in strategic locations throughout the District are being covered in art by a community- curated group of local respected artists.
Underpass Infrastructure Improvements
The 880 underpasses have long been perceived as a barrier. We are working to provide short-term mitigations, including cleaning, pressure washing, and coordinating lighting and electrical repairs with the City. We’re also developing a vision for longer-range environmental design solutions in creative brainstorming sessions, with the City, and consultants working on the ongoing Freeway Access Plan and Downtown Specific Plan.
Neighborhood Crime Prevention Council (NCPC)
Jack London Improvement District is providing the ongoing organization, and outreach for Beat 1X NCPC. This group is for collaboration between the Jack London community and public safety officials through our Community Resources Officer and our Neighborhood Services Coordinator.
Embarcadero Safety Project
This long term project includes updating the original study and fundraising for the capital improvements required to implement safer crossings and pedestrian and vehicular interfaces, and considers a Train Quiet Zone in Jack London.
Pop-Ups/Activation of 333 Broadway
We’re activating our headquarters at 333 Broadway and transforming the space into a community resource. We host STEAM factory, a workshop series where kids create alongside professional makers; the beta Bike Solar Oakland; and start-up food businesses on a rotating basis. We invite Jack London community groups to use the space for meetings and events.
Quarterly Panel Talks
This series of interactive, educational events with local leaders and subject-matter experts will continue as we explore development in Jack London such as retail, history of development, industry, and other topics of interest.
Community Partner Events
To keep the community informed and engaged we will continue the sponsorship, partnership, or direct hosting of community events such as launch events for publicity of projects, developer outreach forums, National Night Out, Crime Prevention Council meetings, and more. Check out our calendar to see upcoming events.
New plants and landscaping are installed in the medians on Broadway and other minor landscaped areas in the District. Thanks to great volunteer support!
Jack London Collateral
A consumer and business friendly neighborhood guide to promote what’s here and what’s to come will be developed.
There’s a tremendous amount of dedication and love for this neighborhood, and the District is privileged to benefit from the expertise and input of many of you as volunteers. We welcome your feedback and participation as we work together to foster economic vitality and quality-of-life in Oakland’s unique, historic, urban waterfront community. Send us an email or give us a call to get involved.